Hey everyone! Welcome to today’s episode of the Wright Conversations Podcast! For today’s episode, I’m joined by Amanda Katherine Loy to talk about her later-in-life coming out story, the demisexual experience, and her first sexual encounter with a woman. Amanda also talks about her love-hate relationship with labels, existing as a bisexual person in the world, and she gives valuable advice to those who are exploring their identities.
Let’s delve in!
In this Episode You’ll Learn:
- [04:18] A bit about Amanda.
- [06:50] Coming out later in life.
- [14:18] From Orange is the New Black, to 5 months into a relationship with a woman.
- [15:40] Amanda’s experience of demisexuality.
- [19:27] Getting into the relationship.
- [21:18] Taking on the bisexual and polyamorous labels.
- [22:59] What the labels did for Amanda.
- [24:35] How people reacted.
- [25:43] The struggle of being seen by the world as something other than what she is.
- [29:44] One of the best (and challenging) things about coming out later in life.
- [34:22] Amanda’s advice to her younger questioning self.
- [35:55] Amanda’s advice to others wanting to explore their sexuality.
- “Until and/or if that emotional connection is present, I don’t even feel the pull to have sex with somebody, which I thought was just normal.” [16:52]
- “Your relationship to your identity is like a living document that you can constantly re-examine and adjust as you discover yourself.” [23:37]
- “I feel like I have to fight every single day to not be erased in my own body.” [28:50]
- “I knew that no matter how I was received, I was going to be okay, because I was okay within myself.” [30:26]
- “Don’t be scared to keep digging.” [34:49]
- “There’s only your right way.” [37:04]
- “Explore in a way that makes sense to you.” [39:09]
- “At the end of the day, if we can’t meet each other human-to-human, I don’t really see a point.” [40:24]
Amanda Katherine Loy’s Bio
Amanda is a queer, non-monogamous, neurodivergent artist, storyteller, actor, coach, writer, podcast host, and trauma survivor. At the age of 27, she had a preventative double mastectomy, which she documented in her book, I Chopped Off My Tits. Her podcast, Live Your F*ck Yes Life, was launched in 2018 as a space to have conversations about the things that no one talks about. She is a recovering people pleaser, and she works to support other recovering people pleasers through her program, The School of Fears, Feels, and Fucks.
Connect with Amanda Katherine Loy
YouTube: Amanda Katherine Loy.
Facebook: Amanda Katherine Loy.
Connect with Rachel Wright
WIN A FREE INTIMACY AFTER-DARK DECK!
Get 30% OFF the NEW After Dark Deck! Use Promo Code: Rachel
Call to Action
Please, if you love this episode and know someone else who is a passionate soul on a mission just like you, share it with your friends and others. Please leave an iTunes review to help this podcast grow, and don’t forget to subscribe.