In today’s episode, I’m joined by Tess Brigham to talk about navigating a quarter life crisis, losing control with analysis paralysis, and debunking the idea that there are right or wrong decisions. Tess also talks about the most common “shoulds”, triggers on social media, and allowing ourselves to be comfortable with self-discovery in our 20s.
Let’s delve in!
In this Episode You’ll Learn:
- [04:37] Tess in her own words.
- [05:45] What is a quarter-life crisis?
- [06:59] The consequence of not dealing with the crisis.
- [09:23] What gets people to search for help?
- [10:55] Where do you start?
- [16:27] How does resistance show up?
- [20:16] Tess’s advice for if you’re stuck.
- [24:14] Shoulding all over yourself.
- [26:42] Social media “shoulds”.
- [30:04] Tess’s words of wisdom.
- “If you think you’re going through a crisis, then say that you’re going through a crisis.” [05:52]
- “If you don’t make a decision, a decision will be made for you.” [18:17]
- “You have to just make decisions and keep moving forward.” [19:33]
- “There are very few choices and decisions that you’ll make in your life that you cannot get out of.” [20:51]
- “Don’t be afraid. There are no right or wrong choices.” [21:17]
- “You feel like you should have these things because of some Instagram post, but day-to-day, do you want it?” [26:32]
- “The 20s really are the perfect time to do this kind of work on yourself.” [30:14]
Tess Brigham’s Bio
Tess Brigham (MFT, BCC) dubbed the “Millennial Therapist” by CNBC is an expert psychotherapist, certified coach and public speaker. She specializes in helping young adults discover their unique life path in order to go out into the world and make an impact. Tess’acclaimed one on one coaching empowers young adults to gain the confidence they need to create their dream life through concrete and actionable steps.
Tess’ work as a psychotherapist and certified coach started after her own life transformation took place. At age 27, Tess seemed to have it all as a top Hollywood junior talent manager. But on the inside things felt empty and pointless. She took a huge risk, quit her job, and rebuilt a career and life she loved. Now she helps other young adults and early-career professionals navigate the same quarter-life process with her practical experience and insights on finding happiness and clarity. She provides tools and techniques that can powerfully shift an individual’s mindset and behaviors for overall well-being.
Tess is a vital resource for those who are feeling stuck, uninspired, or uncertain by where they are in life. Her keynote speeches and workshops include topics such as: Creating a Culture of Empathy (even while working remotely), Virtual Leadership, Emotional Intelligence, and Filling Generational Gaps in the Workplace.
Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Tess has over 15 years of experience helping thousands of people find their purpose, develop their confidence, and create a life they’re excited about living. She is a regular contributor at both CNBC and Forbes and was featured on the TV Show, “The Doctors” to discuss the Millennial mental health crisis. In addition, she has been featured in Oprah Magazine, The New York Times, SF Chronicle, NBC News, Huff Post, Insider, Yahoo! News, Marie Claire, BuzzFeed, Newsweek, Real Simple, and more.
Connect with Tess Brigham
Facebook: Tess Brigham.
LinkedIn: Tess Brigham.
YouTube: Tess Brigham, Therapist & Coach.
Get 30% OFF the NEW After Dark Deck! Use Promo Code: Rachel
Call to Action
Please, if you love this episode and know someone else who is a passionate soul on a mission just like you, share it with your friends and others. Please leave an iTunes review to help this podcast grow, and don’t forget to subscribe.